Crews from seven towns responded to the home, but the two-story structure is a total loss.
Fire fighters tell us the homeowner heard a loud pop before the fire started, and that it was likely an electrical fire.
With temperatures in the single digits, fire fighters described working in these conditions.
"It's kind of a nightmare really," said Capt. Thurlow Harper from the Howland Fire Department. "Every time you spray anything it starts to ice. Your gear gets all wet and freezes up and you can't move. If you're wearing a regulator, it freezes up. It makes everything ten times harder."
Everyone in the house was bale out make it out safely, though the status of pets is unknown.