Learn the Ancient Art of Drop Spinning Yarn
Come learn to spin wool yarn on a drop spindle with Amy Reisman
Ellsworth, Maine—You are invited to come learn the ancient art of spinning wool with a drop spindle. This technique is thousands of years old. The technology that is required is simply a wooden dowel (the shaft,) a disc with a center hole (the whorl,) a hook or notch, and a length of carded wool. That’s it. All necessary items will be provided at the class.
This relaxing hobby was once the initial manufacturing process for all fabric. Drop spinning predates the spinning wheel by about 9000 years. Amy Reisman will be teaching this craft at the Beth Wright Cancer Resource Center free of charge to anyone who is interested.
The first lesson will include assembling the drop spindle, learning about the properties of wool fiber and spinning with the “Park and Draw” method.
This craft can fit easily into a pocketbook and go anywhere. Waiting rooms and car rides can be great place to practice this time-honored craft.
The classes are scheduled to take place on Tuesdays, February 13, 20, 27 and March 6, from 2:00 – 3:45 pm. Call the Center with any questions or to register 207-664-0339.
- Faircloth drops out of gubernatorial race
- Pet portrait fundraiser
- Snow Sculpting
- Matthew Slater, Patriots special teams captain, visits Husson University
- Five students homeless following house fire in Old Town
- Early morning police chase ends in two arrests
- Two Bangor organizations team up for fraud and scam prevention
- Family wants answers on missing man
- Committee approves marijuana regulation recommendations
- Man sentenced in Augusta Thanksgiving robbery
- Route-3 reconstruction open house to be held
- Hancock County Sheriff's bust underage drinking party
- Tug boat sinks off Maine coast
- Former Bucksport mill site to become land-based salmon farm
- Planned power outage may affect downtown Bangor
- Maine drug overdose deaths increased in 2017
- NRA defends itself after corporations pull away
- Grieving father and Parkland student push for school safety
- UN peacekeepers in South Sudan accused of paying for sex
- Border Patrol's checkpoints overlooked in debate over wall
- Gov. Rick Scott outlines proposal to improve school safety
- North Korea willing to hold talks with US, ex-spy chief says
- Justice With Judge Jeanine - Saturday, February 24
- Watters World - Saturday, February 24
- California Democratic Party doesn't endorse Feinstein re-election bid
- Thousands march in memory of slain Russian opposition leader
- Tourist infected with measles went to New York art museum, area hotels, health officials say
- Pakistan: Blasphemy suspect who jumped off building healing
- Coffee and alcohol: The keys to a long life?
- House candidate apologizes for 'crusty old Marine' remark
- Sec. Shulkin faces criticism over progress on VA reforms
- 12 texting tips you didn't know the iPhone could do
- CDC employee's disappearance prompts $10G reward offer
- US, Britain in cybersecurity divide over Chinese tech firm Huawei
- Orlando Bloom Takes His 7-Year-Old Son Flynn On An Adorable Date
- 'Notting Hill' Star Emma Chambers Dies At 53 — See Hugh Jackman & More Stars' Reactions
- Curling Champions! U.S. Men's Curling Team Wins First Ever Team USA Gold In Huge Upset
- Emily Ratajkowski Got Married In A $200 Suit From Zara
- Amal Clooney Applauds Parkland Student Survivors For Their Bravery In Powerful Talk
- Vanessa Hudgens Shows Off Her Wintry Wood Chopping Skills On The Set Of 'Polar'
- Chevy Chase Got Kicked In The Shoulder In A Road Rage Fight On New York Roadway
- Al Pacino Will Star As Penn State's Joe Paterno In HBO Biopic On April 7
- James Van Der Beek & Wife Kimberly Have Baby No. 5 On The Way
- Tom Holland & Zendaya Cause Social Media Frenzy Over Adorable Snapchat Vids
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Reveals The 14 Sickening Queens Competing In Season 10 Of The Hit Show
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Adorable Home Video Of Twins Max & Emme On Their 10th Birthday
- US men's curling team accidentally given women's gold medals
- Canadian skier arrested at Pyeongchang Olympics for stealing car while intoxicated, police say
- Payments to top college basketball players listed in FBI documents: report
- Ex-NFL player, reportedly held by police for disturbing gun picture, 'no longer in police custody'
- Ex-NFL player detained by police for disturbing gun picture
- Another Russian athlete tests positive for doping a day before IOC Russian doping decision
- Canadian hockey player who took off silver medal regrets move
- Twitter attacks German figure skater for performing to 'Schindler's List' score
- Dutch speed skater Jan Blokhuijsen ignites backlash after telling South Koreans to 'please treat dogs better'
- Canadian women's hockey player immediately removes silver medal after loss
- American Mikaela Shiffrin wins silver in Olympic Alpine combined
- North Korean cheerleader accidentally claps for the Americans, report says