- Category: Entertainment Tonight
- Created on Tuesday, 01 October 2013 07:56
- Written by Fox Bangor / ABC 7 News Team
- Hits: 853
NeNe Leakes emerged as one of Bravo's most popular Housewives when her Atlanta season premiered in 2008, but she continually shot down their requests to star in a spin-off -- until now.
But anyone expecting smooth sailing as the couple heads back towards the altar doesn't know NeNe! The first two episodes have been drama-filled as she dealt with public perception, combustible bridesmaids and the enormous task of bonding with Gregg's kids from his first marriage. ETonline caught up with Leakes to talk about the pros and cons of being a reality TV star, and the next steps on her plan to world domination!
ETonline: You'd been asked to star in a spin-off before, right?
NeNe Leakes: Yes, Bravo approached me several times about doing a spin-off, I was the first Atlanta Housewife they offered a spin-off too, but I never said yes because I felt like it was a lot of work. Then Gregg and I got engaged last year and they approached us last year about a wedding special. I said I would do a two-hour special. So they tossed that back and forth and wanted more. Initially they said it would only be three or six, but it kept growing and now we have eight.
ETonline: Why'd you say yes this time?
Leakes: Gregg and I had broken up on Housewives and the viewers saw that, so we wanted to show those viewers us getting back together. But it was a hard decision. I had just come off doing The New Normal and Glee, so I was exhausted by the idea of going right into shooting this show. Plus, you get judged so much being on a reality show. Especially since we're talking about our marriage and our kids. We decided that we'd take the leap of faith and I'm glad we did.
ETonline: You've dealt with personal problems on and off camera. Do you find that these situations are made tougher by having the cameras there?
Leakes: [laughs] Oh yeah. Emotions run higher when the cameras are around because the camera brings out the worst or the best in people. The cameras bring out a lot more emotion.
ETonline: At the same time, you're trying to bond with Gregg's kids from his first marriage, who you say hold you responsible for their parents split. Does trying to connect on camera make them more inclined to want to participate, you think?
Leakes: That's very true [laughs]. Very true. It's hard to talk about, but Gregg's kids were never seen on RHOA, and that was an issue with his kids. Once I Dream of NeNe cameras started rolling, we wanted to bring them on, but that was one of the issues we had. There were people who wanted to come on camera, but we didn't feel like it was for the right reasons.
ETonline: How much do you think reality TV has impacted the kind of people who want to be in your life?
Leakes: To be honest, it's a blessing and curse. It's a blessing because reality TV has opened up so many doors and opportunities for me, but it's a curse because I neglect my husband and my children while I'm working so hard. Plus it breaks up friendships and marriages. You also have so many people trying to come into your life because people think they know reality stars. I really need to take a step back from a lot of things and a lot of people right now to re-center myself. I have girlfriends that I love and try to walk to the door, but I can't walk them through the door of opportunity. So many of them feel like if I don't shoot with them one time, then I'm not their friend or I'm not cool. I mean, I can shoot with them a million times, but if I don't shoot with them the one time they want, I'm backstabbing them. It can be a lot to deal with.
ETonline: What about professionally? Do you think reality TV has impacted your ability to get acting jobs?
Leakes: I think it helped me. I haven't experienced a negative yet. Ryan Murphy, my fairy godmother, he has given me these jobs. He wrote these characters for me, so I didn't have to audition for Glee or The New Normal, so I haven't felt that struggle yet.
ETonline: Are you planning to start auditioning for roles?
Leakes: I'm going to be in LA this February, March and April for pilot season and actively auditioning for jobs. I'll do it like any other actor. I love that kind of stuff. I'm also an executive producer on I Dream of NeNe and am working on a scripted series that I would write and produce. It's not just acting and reality shows, I like being behind the scenes as well.
ETonline: The I Dream of NeNe sizzle reel features you breaking down on your wedding day. What are we seeing there?
Leakes: What happened is that I really had been going and going for days. I was exhausted and my wedding started at 8 p.m., but at 8 p.m. I was in my suite with no makeup and my hair wasn't done. People were still knocking on my door to get their hair and makeup done even though I had a ton of hair and makeup people throughout the hotel to do their hair. We had over 400 guests and a large wedding party, so lots of people needed hair and makeup. Then, a bit before 8 p.m., Gregg's daughter knocked on my door and she didn't have makeup on! So I had my hair and makeup team work on her, so when time came to start, I wasn't ready and the guests were waiting, but I still needed a full hour. So my wedding planner told me to take a deep breath and the guests would have to wait. I don't know if you'll see that on camera, but when I got downstairs, I just emotionally broke down. I had done everything to get to that moment and it was just so emotional.
ETonline: You've spent the last six years having your life taped in one way or another. And I Dream of NeNe features a lot of flashbacks to RHOA season one. What do you think when you see NeNe, circa 2008?
Leakes: Usually when I look at that woman, I scream [laughs]. They did not have to show some of those clips, honey. But I think, "Wow, we have come a long way." It's amazing to think about how far I've come. My wedding is one of the great moments in my life and I'm so glad we have them saved forever.
I Dream of Nene airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Bravo.
More On: NeNe Leakes
- Hampden officials say they are working hard to economic development
- Killer mom appeals murder sentence
- Governor withdraws nominess for Education Committee
- A Waterville man is accused of carrying out a terrifying crime
- Officials warn people to leave seal pups alone
- Pulse Marketing holds first web marketing seminar in Bangor
- Evening of romance at BSO Valentine's concert
- DOE looking for summer food program sponsors
- Huge alumni gift for Bates College
- Kennebec County Jail is preparing for major renovations
- Don McLean pleads not guilty
- Tractor trailer accident closes 202
- Chess Tables Coming to Brewer Waterfront
- Rockland man arrested on child porn charges
- Man involved in two high speed chases last week is in custody
- Governor submits state of the state in writing
- Driver allegedly was drinking at time of crash
- Man involved in standoff in court Monday
- Black Lives Matter activist kills self outside Ohio Statehouse, police say
- Report: DMX almost dies from drug overdose
- 'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community
- The dangerous business of ship salvage
- Virginia teen stabbed to death had talked about running away with suspect
- Caught on video: British man trips suspect running from police
- $220,000 Oscar swag bag includes sex toys, breast enhancements, Chapstick
- Teresa Giudice reveals she attended parties, used ‘spa services’ in prison
- M1 Abrams tank makes cameo in Iranian-backed terror group's video
- Hundreds of California homes, buildings used plans drafted by 2 phony engineers, say authorities
- Candace Cameron Bure is uncomfortable with foul language on ‘The View’
- Man killed by meteorite in India, say government officials
- Top intel official confirms ISIS made, used chemical weapons
- NASA releases stunning 360-degree Mars video
- Liam Neeson admits to dating 'incredibly famous' woman
- North Korean satellite reportedly 'tumbling in orbit,' making it useless
- Texas prosecutor busted for drunken driving
- Sanders closing Clinton's national polling lead, as NH votes
- 19th-century 'Perpetual Mouse Trap' lives up to its name
- Man trapped under avalanche pulled out 6 days later
- Teen stabbed to death had been grounded from social media, dad says
- What kind of America do Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders think we live in?
- 'OITNB' actress Taryn Manning sues NYC for $10M for 'false arrest'
- Iowa Democrats stonewalling on vote totals, but past numbers were available
- 'Frozen' Musical To Make Broadway Debut In 2018
- DMX Has Recovered After Being Resuscitated By Police, Attorney Says
- Kelly Clarkson Releasing Children's Book Named For Daughter River Rose
- Megan Fox Is New 'New Girl,' Filling In For Zooey Deschanel
- Bryan Fuller Named Co-Creator, Showrunner Of CBS' 'Star Trek'
- Ken Watanabe Battling Stomach Cancer, Delays Broadway Return
- First 'Fuller House' Trailer Debuts: 'Damn, We All Still Look Good!'
- 'The Flash': Danielle Panabaker Talks Killer Frost, Deathstorm & Zoom
- Taylor Swift Leads iHeartRadio Award Nominations
- Michael Douglas Among Those Honored By AARP
- Beyonce's Super Bowl Show Bringing Both Praise & Criticism
- Maroon 5 Thanks Taraji P. Henson For Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Maroon 5 'Thanks' Taraji P. Henson After Mistaken Super Bowl Shout-Out
- Super Bowl Draws 111.9 Million Viewers, Down From Last Year
- 'The Good Wife' Bosses Talk Ending The Show, Spinoff Potential
- Gwyneth Paltrow Testifies In Stalking Trial, Says Man's Letters Were Upsetting
- Conan O'Brien Heading To Harvard To Give Talk
- 'Monsters, Inc.' & 'Big Hero 6' Screenwriter Daniel Gerson Dies At 49
- Flavor Flav Pleads No Contest To DUI Charge In Las Vegas
- Porn Actress Drops $500K Lawsuit Against Josh Duggar
- 'The Good Wife': CBS Announces Final Nine Episodes
- Beyonce Announces 2016 Tour
- Flavor Flav Due To Face Las Vegas Judge On Misdemeanor Case
- Here Come The Super Bowl 50 Ads
- Tom Brady boasts that he is not one of the best QBs ever
- Peyton Manning's mom explains why it's time for her son to retire
- Report: Off-duty cops hospitalized after alleged altercation involving LeSean McCoy
- Advanced stats will probably love Michigan in 2016
- Audi tearjerker, 'Puppymonkeybaby' among Super Bowl winners
- Offbeat humor and upbeat messages dominate Super Bowl ads
- Breaking news: NASCAR to announce new 'charter' system for teams
- 2nd-seeded Cilic and Dodig advance to 2nd round in Rotterdam
- Jordan Spieth honors Peyton Manning with classic forehead joke after Super Bowl win
- Mets give cap-tip to fellow runner-up Panthers after Super Bowl loss
- Cam Newton's authenticity is highly questionable
- 2016 New York Mets Preview & Fantasy Baseball Draft Prep
- All-Star Bobblehead Series among Marlins promotions in 2016
- Broncos offseason to-do list, starting with moving on from Manning
- Cam Newton's image took the biggest hit of all during the Super Bowl
- Dodgers' Pederson had a great view of Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show
- Paul George says he'll try to score 82 points in final game vs. Kobe
- From behind the lens at Super Bowl 50, Durant captures the other side
- DeMarcus Ware's son stole Deion Sanders' microphone after the Super Bowl
- Comfort wins: Stroman, Blue Jays watch Super Bowl 50 in onesies
- Parker to play with France despite wife's pregnancy
- Ronaldo open to leaving Real Madrid when contract expires
- Tyronn Lue on recent criticism: 'Look, they ridiculed Jesus Christ'
- Bryce Harper shared a laugh with Stephen Curry at Super Bowl 50